Friday, March 19, 2010

Monster 3

So what happened in this reading was pretty depressing. In this section of the reading, Steve talks to his parents in jail and it becomes extremely emotional. I thought it was kinda weird that his Mom and Dad came at different times and made me think that they might be divorced or split. Also Steve always writes in his journal (not the storyboard) about when his parents come. Both of them think that Steve is innocent especially his mother who says to him "No matter what anybody says in there, You're innocent." You can tell by the way that he writes right after his mom comes that he feels like crap and wishes he was dead. When his dad comes, he talks about how he envisioned Steves future and how he "pictured you at college, or buying a house." This part made me sad because the truth is he could be on his way to college. He's a smart guy but he just got caught at the wrong place at the wrong time. What made this part even more depressing was the fact that his Dad teared up at the end of his visit and Steve writes "I've never seen him cry before." This is the same with my Dad. I've never seen him cry before and if he was crying for the first time becasue of me, I would feel horrible.

In this section Steve is realizing what he's in for if he becomes guilty. You can see how shocked he is when he writes " I want to be away from this place so bad, away from this place, AWAY FROM THIS PLACE." To me, this would be very shocking and it's funny that he soesn't realize that he could either end up dead or in a rotten prison for the rrest of his life over something he didn't do.

I think the saddest part of this story is the fact that he didn't do anything. He's stuck in a hole and can't get out and the two options are to die or stay there for the rest of his life. It's almost like innocent animals who are being trapped for no apparent reason but to satisfy the want of the hunter to catch his prey. Steve Harmon is a very coplex kid and he is in a situation in which a court full of random people he didn't know until then are deciding his fate. I look forward to reading the rest of Steve Harmons life

No comments:

Post a Comment