Friday, March 12, 2010

Monster 2

The book monster is pretty interesting so far in terms of the story line. THe story is extremely intense and a lot of the time especially the parts he explains about being in jail and all the really intense stuff that goes down inside those walls. It's also really messed up that 30 year old men have to worry about getting sexually harrased inside and even outside of jail. Like one guy whose name is Sal Zinzi who was cutting deals with the detective to try and get Bolden in jail (who is a convicted criminal) because he said he would gang rape Sal. Now that's just messed up if ask me. I wouldn't last a day in jail if I were Steve.

As I was reading I was also thinking about how the prosecutors and lawyers feel. I know that Briggs (Steves Lawyer) feels somewhat sympathetic of Steves situation but then when I look at Petrocelli (the Prosecuter), I just think wow, this person doesn't give a crap about if the people are innocent or not. They just want them in jail so they can win another case and get more money. Same goes for the Stenographer ( the person who records the trial). She says quote on quote "Man I hope this trial lasts for two weeks. I could sure use the money." I mean SERIOUSLY!!! They don't even understand what's going to happen to these people and what they would have to go through for the rest of their lives. It's almost like these people are objects in which they get paid for using. Steve says in his journal that it's almost like he's not even involved in the case and that the jurors are deciding a fate for him in which he doesn't even have a say.

I know this sounds kind of stupid but they should definitely make Monster into a movie and I think everyone involved in court should watch it and the story board that the author writes should be used for the movie. At least someone involved in court would reconsider what they are doing before they get themselves involved with a case like this in which someone would be getting the death penalty or spending life in jail.

So so far the book has really made me think and ponder the life of someone in jail as long as the people who are convicting innocent people. I'm very excited for the next chapter, or I guess it's there's not really chapters just sections. I'm excited for the next section.

1 comment:

  1. Good job. This is exactly the kind of thoughtful commentary I am looking for in your blog. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete